This is a guest post by Morris Edwards from SEO Service, Singapore. If you want to contribute to our blog, feel free to contact us!
…are well aware of the wave of educational technology which is spreading fast. Digitized documents and journals are being used as the chief source of education. This is aided by Moodle, which is the next level of teaching and education.
Moodle is an open source CMS (content management System) frequently being used by loads of universities, colleges, schools, educational professionals, and companies. It is to be believed that Moodle’s literal meaning is referred as a verb which describes as a friendly environment that leads to creativity & enjoyment.
To start with,
Moodle stands for “Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment”. So, you have a Moodle website which is used for studying and teaching purpose. However, you are wondering why it is not showing up in any of the search engine result pages.
The major reason for that is because doing SEO for the normal website is different from doing SEO in Moodle websites. So, the normal SEO procedures will not work on a Moodle website. It is time to improvise.
In this post, I will give you some of the insights on how you can do an efficient SEO for your Moodle website. So, let’s get started right away!
A Reality Check For Moodle SEO
- Normally an SEO procedure for a normal website starts with these elements,
- The URL of your website.
- How are keywords used?
- Title of your website.
- The quality of the content.
- The age of your content.
- Your website design & structure.
- Your page-loading speed.
- Can search engine bots easily crawl your website?
- The quality of user engagement
When your website is made from Moodle, most of these factors can never be optimized entirely. This makes the SEO of a Moodle website a bit trickier than the normal website. This is the major reason why Moodle cannot perform well in SEO alone.
What You Can Do To Enhance Moodle SEO?
There are many things that you can actually do when you want to enhance your Moodle website’s SEO. In this section, I will give you a rundown of tasks that will help you to enhance the SEO of your Moodle website. So, let’s get you started.
- You need to enable the option “open to Google” setting. In order to do that, follow these steps in your Moodle website admin panel, Siteadmin→ Security→ Site Policies.
- Now, Open Administration→ Configuration→ Variables. Now set “Yes” to allow Google to access your Moodle website as the guest.
- Properly set your website description or the metadata (Commonly referred by many of the Moodle themes as “metadata”).
Always make sure that your courses links are on the Homepage of your website. If not, then your descriptions will never be crawled and indexed by search engine.
- Always remember, having a simple name for your website is always beneficial when it comes to SEO. Make your website name simple, with keyword and relevant to the type of courses you are offering on your website.
- Set proper course description. Remember, using only keywords is not important here, you need to be clear about what you are offering on your website.
- Make sure to add a sitemap of your Moodle website
- Whenever you add new content or courses on your website, always remember to ping it to make sure that the new content or course indexed by the search engines. You can make use of various online pinging services.
- You must always make use of social media to share your courses. Social media sharing can really bolster your Moodle SEO campaign.
- You know that there are many forums and blogs which are relevant to your courses. You can simply link your Moodle website to these relevant websites and forums.
- Make a social media page on the behalf of your Moodle website and cater some inbound links to your website.
These are some basic practices that can really help you in boosting your Moodle website’s SEO-
- A Landing Page Can Come In Handy For You
- A landing page is considered to be one of the best SEO strategies.
- Make an entry site for your Moodle website and enhance your SEO performance. And the best part is yet to come.
- You can use WordPress or any HTML based framework to make an attractive landing page for your Moodle website.
- On the landing page, you can include your homepage, your course catalogue or an individual course page with targeted messages to attract visitors and search engine as well. I understand that sometimes some courses are restricted to the members only, but you can create a landing page where your non-member visitors can read about the things that are offered in the course. This can be leveraged as an effective lead generation strategy.
So, these are some of the best SEO practices especially designed for Moodle websites. Moodle websites are a great source of content and knowledge. With a knack for right SEO, you can rule the search engine result pages with all your relevant keywords.
Morris Edwards is the writer here. He has been working with Awebstar for over 6 years as an SEO Expert. Awebstar is offering professional SEO Service Singapore. If you have a business website then you could do a lot by listening to some of what Morris has to say.